- One of the oldest Universities in India
- Established in 1882 as University of Punjab at Lahore (now in Pakistan).
- 1st in India and 32nd in Asia, Times Higher Education Asian University rankings 2014.
- Ranked 141-150 in QS University Ranking: BRICS 2014
- Ranked number one University in India and in the bracket 276-300 internationally in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings, 2014-2015 powered by Thomson Reuters.
- Ranked 39th by the Times Higher Education among BRICS & Emerging Economies.
- University campus is spread over an area of 550 acres (2.2 km2) in sectors 14 and 25 of the city of Chandigarh.
- University has 78 teaching and research departments and 15 Centers/Chairs for teaching and research at the main campus located at Chandigarh.
- University has 188 affiliated colleges spread over Punjab and having one rural Regional Centre at Kauni, and 3 Regional Centres at Muktsar, Ludhiana and Hoshiarpur.
- University has 4 Constituent Colleges located at Sikhwala (Sri Muktsar Sahib), Balachaur (SBS Nagar), Nihalsingh Wala (Moga) and Guru Harsahai (Ferozepur).
- Panjab University Community Radio Station - Jyotirgamaya: 91.2 MHz
Mission of the University
Stamp issued on 19 May 1989
"The University has been incorporated for the purpose, among others, of making provision for imparting education in Arts, Letters, Science and the learned professions and of furthering advancement of learning, the prosecution of original research, with power to appoint University Professors, Readers and Lecturers, to hold and manage educational endowments, to erect, equip and maintain University colleges, libraries, laboratories and museums, to making regulations relating to the residence and conduct of students and to do all such acts as tend to promote study and research".
Stamp issued on 23rd October 2013
Enquiry No(s): 1800-180-2065, +91 172 2534818, 2534866 (from 9:30 am to 1:00 pm & 2:30 pm to 5:00 pm on working days including Saturday)